Images of Lytham St Annes
The splendour of Victorian and Edwardian life in Lytham St Annes is today sadly nothing more than a fast-fading memory. Imagine what fun it must have been to witness and enjoy the growth of the genteel seaside resort in the lat 18th and early 19th centuries.
Here were two coastline neighbours eager for progress and prosperity but both determined to preserve their own identities. It is a widely-held belief that it was the great contrasts in the two townships that produced such an inspired partnership.
Lytham was the grand old lady of the Fylde coast, steeped in history and tradition, proud of its leafy image and its heritage dating back as far as 700 AD. St Annes was the brash newcomer, a town hacked out of the sandhills by rich and powerful industrialists as recently as the mid 1870s. When the ancient and modern communities - albeit reluctantly, in 1922 - they produced a borough of confidence catering mainly for businessmen and wealthy families from the East Lancashire cotton towns.
And, as the acclaimed 'Opal of the West'. the resort quickly developed and fortunes soared. The beaches were filled with relaxed holiday makers and St Annes and Lytham piers echoed with the laughter of day-trippers.
A cut above bustling and brassy Blackpool, Lytham St Annes attracted gentry eager to make their homes in the town. Vast promenade residences replaced the sand dunes as the wealthy businessmen installed their families by the sea, with their chauffeur-driven limousines and domestic servants.
Images of Lytham St Annes is a pictorial record of some of the changes that the resort has seen, which promise to jog the memories of residents and holidaymakers alike.